Department of Computer Science and Statistics
Position Title Assistant Professor of Data Science
APPLICATION DEADLINE: The search will remain open until filled. First consideration will be given to applications received by November 15, 2018. Second consideration applications must be submitted by December 15, 2018. Applications received subsequent to the second consideration date (December 15, 2018) may not be given full consideration.
The Assistant Professor position is full time 9-month academic year, tenure-track, permanent, with appointment to begin academic year 2019-20.
The University of Rhode Island invites applications for Assistant Professor of Data Science in the Department of Computer Science and Statistics. This position has reduced teaching responsibilities to conduct collaborative and interdisciplinary Data Science research through the URI Big Data and Data Science initiatives that are coordinated by the University Library. This is the tenth position in a university-wide Big Data cluster hire that began in Fall 2016. This research-intensive position is co-funded by the URI Libraries. The successful candidate is expected to contribute to the new artificial intelligence lab at the University Library.
We are particularly interested in candidates with expertise in Data Science and its applications across multiple disciplines.
It is expected that all candidates will also be committed to excellence in undergraduate and graduate teaching, and to supervising and mentoring students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Applicants should demonstrate a strong commitment and capacity to initiate new funded research as well as to expand, complement, and collaborate with existing data driven research programs across the colleges at URI. As part of the position, the successful candidate will regularly perform graduate and undergraduate teaching duties, including developing new courses related to their research expertise in Computer Science and Data Science.
- D. in Data Science, Computer Science or related area (degree must be awarded by August 2019).
- Demonstrated evidence of fundable research in the field of Data Science with scholarly work commensurate with level of academic experience.
- Demonstrated ability to teach Data Science.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations.
- Preference will be given to candidates who can contribute to and strengthen interdisciplinary programs in data science, big data, artificial intelligence, information studies, etc.
- Developing new courses and innovative curricular programs in Data Science.
- Developing collaborative relationships with other partners in Rhode Island, the region and the nation.
- Increasing the diversity of the faculty and scholarship in the department; provide a role model for students of diversity.
- Improving recruitment and retention of undergraduate and graduate students and strengthening learning and research outcomes.
Please submit directly online at: https://jobs.uri.edu