Software Engineer II Wanted
Position title: Software Engineer II
Position type: Salaried employee, salary: commensurate with experience plus fringe & benefits
Reports to: Daniel Holloway
ATTN: Dan Holloway
165 Dean Knauss Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
Note: This position is a limited term position with the possibility of extension.
Basic Function of Job
Support a NOAA-funded cyber-infrastructure project extending OPeNDAP software in support of the OGC Web Coverage Service and Sensor Observation Service specifications, working with OPeNDAP personnel.
This position will involve developing software to develop two different modules. One module will dynamically build virtual datasets and the other will augment existing datasets with dynamic content. In addition to the sponsored project this software will be used by other projects.
OPeNDAP, Inc. is a not-for-profit corporation formed in Rhode Island to develop data exchange middleware and servers. OPeNDAP’s software is open-source and used in a variety of research and data management settings.
Main task: Collaborate with other OPeNDAP personnel to extend the OPeNDAP data server so that it can used in this effort.
• Develop two new modules for the OPeNDAP data server
• Refine software design
• Develop software tests
• Write documentation (aimed at other software developers)
• Interact with other users of the software library in an open-source environment
Confers with OPeNDAP personnel regarding major issues, but must be able to work with a high level of independence.
Seeks out appropriate information regarding the various systems and applies it in a timely fashion. Evaluates problem reports, makes estimates of requirements to attain a solution and is able to follow the problem to completion.
Algebra, Logic, basic calculus
• Strong programming skills
• Experience in C++
• Experience XML, XML tools and techniques
• Experience in programming practices for implementing production quality software
• Experience with UNIX and/or Linux;
• Experience in developing software libraries supporting multiple applications is a plus
• Good organizational skills
• Good written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with people, especially people who are working from remote locations.
• Skill in working both independently and as a member of a team.
• B.S. in Computer Science; and
• At least two years experience in software engineering or a related field; or
• An equivalent combination of education and experience